Sunday, August 19, 2007

Nothing changes on New Year's Day

(did a short but good walk with my wife yesterday for my Augustathon progress -- 18 days down!)

Most people look at New Year's Day as a time to reflect on achievements, compose goals, and set direction for the next 12 months.

I've never really found that easy. For one thing, you've likely just spent some time over-indulging for the holidays. You're quite possibly stressed, having just eaten too much, spending too much, and hanging out with people you don't normally visit.

I've found my birthday to be a better time to do this sort of self-reflection. And so, one day before I turn 34, I set my mind to these kinds of questions. What have I done right and wrong this year? And what do I want to do better next year? What do I want to have true about me when I turn 35, on August 20 2008?

I'll follow up with some thoughts either later today, or more appropriately, tomorrow.

1 comment:

Jank said...

I'm a big fan of setting goals not on the calendar, but at the spring equinox.

Though this time of year is good, too.