My list has two important things on it.
- Run a marathon.
- Write some fiction.
1 is a stereotypical BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal). I don't know that I'll ever be in shape to run a marathon. But the road there will teach me a lot about myself and get me into the shape I know I want to be in. My escape clause is running a Half. I ran a 10K, I'm relatively sure that given another 6-9 months of training I could have been ready to at least finish a Half, even if I embarassed myself in the process.
I've started the writing exercises again.
I have yet to make a firm and serious commitment to the right nutrition and exercise routines to get me back into running shape.
So I'm here to write about the reasons I should commit myself to this:
- My daughter is only going to need more from me, physically. I need to keep up with her.
- My daughter needs a good role model for her fitness.
- I want to live long into my daughter's adult life and not be a burden on her.
- I am sick of hating shopping for new clothes.
- The self-confidence will help me at work.
- It will burn off stress from work and home.
- I was confident and content on a different level when I was at my most fit.
- I know I can do it.
- I want to appear more professional and disciplined.
And by recent I mean last 12-18 months.
Of course, my lapse in writing is much more severe (though it doesn't count the same: I've been blogging steadily instead ... it's like lapsing on running but biking instead).