Wednesday, October 03, 2007

No reason, just an excuse

That's what I wrote in my fitness log tonight as to why I didn't get my run in. No reason, just an excuse.

Work is really stressful this week, beyond usual, and it's just the start of what's going to be a difficult quarter. My head isn't in the game, so to speak. I can't stop thinking about stupid work stuff. I had a nagging funny pain in my ankle a few times through the afternoon, including when I went on a short walk around the building with a co-worker. On that walk, I decided, "maybe I won't run when I get home."

When I got home, and my wife asked if I was hungry, I could have said no, let me run first. But I didn't. I said "yeah," and sat down and tried to forget my workday by talking myself out and eating with my wife.

It's too late now (not technically, but I have online plans for the evening).

I feel a little bad about it, but I'm not beating myself up over it. I recognize what I should have done, what I did, and I completely know why. It's a warning sign -- my fitness is supposed to help me deal with stress, but it can't unless I give it a fair shot.

Tomorrow I run. I promise.

No comments: