Monday, July 18, 2005

Am I crazy (work-related)?

So I went to JavaOne a few weeks ago and enjoyed the hell out of San Francisco. Somewhere along the way I actually derived some satisfaction out of being at a conference full of people who shared my profession. This is not something I'm used to. If you know me, you know I'm pretty cynical about "work stuff" in general.

I wrote a 10+ page summary of my time at JavaOne, sent it to my team, and people actually read it and commented on it. I was blown away. But this didn't completely finish me off; I had these weird ideas about how we have this fragmented developer environment and we could be doing much more than we are.

In a moment of weakness, I described some of these ideas to my manager, who thought it would be good for me to put them in a more coherent form.

So I wrote a short little proposal explaining why I felt we needed to improve things, what we should be aiming for, and what specifically we can do to start getting there. I even included some critical comments on our corporate culture. I finished it off by explaining that I didn't really expect this first "system" to change the world overnight, but hoped that in its inevitable failure it might impart some minor changes in attitudes (well, not in those exact words, but you get the point).

Is this the kind of stupid stuff that gets people in hot water? Or is this the kind of focused stuff that gets people credit?

What does it say about me, about this industry, that I am questioning the difference between these two?

I'm putting off passing this in to my boss. I'm smart enough to at least suggest that I be allowed to count this proposal towards my quarterly objectives for Q3....

No comments: