Monday, September 14, 2009

Hours turn into days, and then weeks

A recurring topic of conversation around me is how much faster time goes by now that I'm a parent. This morning, I look at the calendar and realize September is halfway through, and shake my head. Time marches on.

Last week was a bit crazy. One of my two distractions was a summer work picnic followed by cocktails to send off a co-worker who is leaving the US to return to India. The other was my wife's birthday.

Of the two, the work event was much healthier. The food was only okay, so I basically ate a small lunch and exercised all afternoon, holding myself to two beers afterward and feeling the day was a net win. My wife's birthday was a bit more of an all-day event, eating a bit more than I should have on two occasions.

But the momentum hasn't shifted; the weight is still falling and the running is still increasing. Yesterday I ran the first day of week 4 of the Couch-to-5K workout plan. After 2 weeks in a row where the run portions of the run/walk totaled 9 minutes, this week's run total 16 minutes (two 5-minute runs, two 3-minute runs), with five minutes of walking in-between and ten minutes of warm-up/cool-down.

For the first time in a long time, I felt like I was running. Three minutes of running, my initial burst of energy carries me through it. But after four minutes, my body gets a familiar "oh, we're really doing this for a while" vibe. That last minute of the 5-minute run felt like what I remember running feeling like.

If I stay on schedule I'll be able to run a few nice long runs in the late fall. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: