Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Christmas Chain Mails

Instead of a blog, my family uses chain mails. They will mail each other a touching news story, a funny picture, or a survey, just like some of us use blogs. Of course, every single one comes with directions to forward on, and as a longtime net user such things ignite me with the burning rage of a thousand suns.

Well, maybe not that bad. But I was on the Internet before AOL was. I remember when forwarding a chain mail got your account suspended and you had to go beg a sysadmin with a beard and hobbit feet for it back.

Anyway. So rather than answer their latest chain and forward it, I'm posting about it in my blog. Here goes.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Depends on the package. Since I love ripping open paper, I love giving gifts wrapped in paper, but some gifts just don't go that route easily.

2. Real tree or Artificial?
Real.

3. When do you put up the tree?
The weekend after Thanksgiving, or one week later.

4. When do you take the tree down?
Depending on how dead it is, between Dec 26 and Jan 1.

5. Do you like egg nog?
Sort of, mainly as a delivery vehicle for spiced rum. My stomach is sensitive to dairy though, so I can't drink most egg nogs.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?
I only remember one Christmas as a child, and I remember getting cars that you pulled back and which launched forward when you let them go. So I guess that will default to my favorite.

7. Do you have a nativity scene?
A small one, yes. I could write a whole blog post about this singular topic, and maybe I will when I have more time.

8. Hardest person to buy for?
Probably Andy (my wife's cousin's husband, a great guy who has few vices or money-wasting hobbies, and who buys himself things he needs)

9. Easiest person to buy for?
Steve Sr. (my father-in-law, who never complains if you ask what he wants, and in fact will give you a list including something he probably needs for his work as a general contractor)

10. Mail or email Christmas cards?
Snail mail all the way.

11.Worst Christmas gift you ever received
Nothing stands out. Off the top of my head I remember getting clothes that didn't fit, but that's about it. There are always gifts which don't get much use, but none of them stand out as "worst."

12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
Probably Christmas Vacation, with Chevy Chase. It gets me laughing and puts me in the holiday mood.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
Mid-November, online. I tend to put off last-minute stocking stuffers for the final week though. I still need to buy some and probably won't until Friday.

14. Ever recycled a Christmas present?
Yes.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Nuts & Bolts, my grandmother's recipe for homemade chex mix.

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree?
Both! No blinking, though, please.

17. Favorite Christmas song?
Carol of the Bells, instrumental, or (There's No Place Like) Home for the Holidays as sung by Perry Como.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
I travel when I need to but enjoy staying home.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?
Not without online assistance.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star?
Star.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Christmas.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?
It falls in Q4, which means work is usually crazy at the same time. I wish I had more time to relax and soak in season before the actual event.
That, and parking at stores. And driving near stores.

23. Favorite ornament theme or color?
Eclectic.

25. What do you want for Christmas this year?
To have a great party at our place, and to have zero traffic snags when we have to travel. Everything else is a bonus.

26. Who is most likely to respond to this?
Nobody reads my blog, so nobody.

27. Who is least likely to respond to this?
Jessica. Even if she read this, she would not have the patience to write one herself.

1 comment:

Tea said...

LMAO---ok just sign me:

Nobody.