Monday, March 28, 2005

Music Review

I bought a few CDs last week, in response to a BMG music club "featured selection" I was interested in. Brief thoughts on the purchases:

Megadeth - The System Has Failed
This album could have been recorded a decade or more ago, and in this case this is a compliment. Megadeth has of late been somewhat fickle; I haven't bought their last few albums and the singles I've heard and/or downloaded have been ok but not great. This album is solid in the way their older stuff was. Maybe that's a step backwards for them, but as far as I'm concerned I'm happy to have one more album of heavy old school Megadeth thrash-like metal. Thumbs up for fans of the genre :).

Modest Mouse - Good News for Poeple Who Like Bad News or some such long title
Meh. I got this on a whim and it's, well, acceptable. I'm not going to write home about it, but I'm not going to rip it out of my rotation. I get the feeling if I was in the right mood I would enjoy it more but I'm not sure I'm ever in that mood. Neutral rating.

Ramones - Anthology Hey Ho Let's Go (2 disc "greatest hits")
How did I get this far in life and never buy a fucking Ramones album? I don't know. But I did, and this was a great set to rectify this with. Solid gems, many of which are already well known due to radio play, but I'm excited to finally "own" them. Plenty of songs I haven't heard a lot, or even at all, too. Awesome, thumbs up for anybody who claims to enjoy rock music in any of its stylings.

While I'm throwing out reviews, I'll mention an album I "rediscovered" the other day I sat down the other day and listened to David Bowie's "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" and was very pleasantly surprised. Good stuff; I feel like a little piece of my musical background has filled itself in. Thumbs up but probably not for folks who don't already have a soft spot for 70s-epic rock songs.

No comments: